According to MentalHealth.gov the US authority on laws governing mental health,
approximately 100 Americans die by suicide each day. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds and more than 8 million adults in the United States had serious thoughts of suicide within the past 12 months.
Major suicide warning signs
If someone you know is showing one or more of the following behaviors, he or she may be thinking about suicide. Don’t ignore these warning signs.
- Talking about wanting to committing suicide. The more he says he wants to die the more he means it. If you feel his talk of wanting to die is getting more frequent, get help now. Do not leave him alone.
- Researching suicide. There are online resources that suggest ways to kill yourself. Check to see if your loved one has been doing this type of research.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings
Leave a Reply